Following are answers to many Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). We hope by having this information at your fingertips we can work together to make the school year a successful one.


Students are at a disadvantage when they enter the classroom late, as they frequently miss directions and information given by the teacher. Students who arrive between 8:30 and 9:00 am are to go directly to class. After 9:00 am, (8:45am for Kindergarten) students MUST get a pass from the office before entering their classroom. After excessive tardies, the student will be referred to the principal for further action. Meetings will be set up between the principal and the parent. Please help your child develop responsibility for being on time.

Leaving School Early

Parents picking up children for an appointment must come into the office and sign their child out. No child will be allowed to leave early without a parent or individual designated as an emergency contact signing him/her out.   Both the student’s teacher and school secretary must be informed of any early dismissal.

I am delayed getting to school to pick up my child.

If you can’t find someone else to pick up your child, please call the office to let them know where you want your child to wait until you arrive.

My child will be absent today.

When your child is ill or absent for any reason, please call the office as soon as possible at (510)231-1415  ext 0. If no one answers the phone, please leave a message. Alternatively, you can send an email or note to the office explaining the reason for the absence. Remember that Education Code requires parents to communicate with the school by phone or note as to the reason for a student’s absence. Every absence has to be accounted for and your help in the process saves countless hours of follow up for the office staff.

My child will be absent / sick for more than five days.

It is important to notify the office of any absences of 5 days or more for any reason in order for the school to receive financial credit for your child. By notifying the office and your child’s teacher, you will be able to obtain school work for your child to complete during his or her absence,  keeping your child current on classroom curriculum.  This is known as Independent Study and also allows for KHS to receive financial credit for your child.  KHS does not receive funding for any absences, regardless of the reason, unless the student has been approved for an independent study which can only be done for 5 or more days of consecutive absences.

Visiting the School

If you are on campus to volunteer, visit, assist or observe, you must get a visitor badge and sign in at the office. We need to know exactly who is on campus at all times.

I would like to volunteer either occasionally or on a regular basis.

The school district requires all on-campus volunteers to obtain a valid Volunteer Badge. To do so, please pick up a Volunteer Application in the office. You will also need a TB test and to be fingerprinted.  All volunteers are required to sign in at the office upon arrival and to wear their Volunteer Badge when working on campus.

There are many volunteer opportunities available.  Check your student’s directory to find the name and contact information for your child’s class Room Parents.  Room Parents and your child’s teacher can give you general and specific ways in which you can help.

I want to drive on a class field trip.

Field trip drivers are assigned by classroom teachers. Let your child’s teacher know if you are interested in driving on a particular field trip. The district requires the following forms be completed and actions taken in order to drive students on a field trip:

  • Obtain and complete an Automobile Transportation Form
  • Provide a copy of current drivers license
  • Provide a copy of current car insurance. Driver’s name must be on the card (not spouse) and date of field trip must fall within coverage date.
  • Complete the district requirements to receive a valid Volunteer Badge.  These requirements include fingerprinting and proof of TB testing.

I would like to chaperon an overnight field trip.

The requirements are the same for overnight and day field trip drivers.  Teachers make the decisions regarding parent chaperons on all field trips.

How and where do I get fingerprinted?

In order to receive a WCCUSD volunteer badge, parents must schedule a fingerprinting appointment at the district offices. Contact the Community Engagement Office at (510) 307-4526 to schedule a fingerprinting appointment or attend one of the scheduled FREE fingerprinting parties.

The following items must be in hand at the time of your fingerprint appointment:

  • Completed volunteer application on line at www.beamentor.org/now
  • Valid Government Issued Picture I.D.
  • $47 exactly in cash OR $47 cashier’s check or money order.  There will be no charge if you are scheduled at one of the Fingerprinting Parties on Saturdays